[comments-gtlds] The .web Debate

It seems to me that many of the people debating the whole .web issue are
doing so because they have a vested interest in who gets to control the
.web namespace.

Several people have posted messages supporting IOD and stated in these
messages that they are, as one person put it, "proud" owners of .web
domains registered through IOD's webtld.com. Well of course they should
support IOD. They've paid money to this company for their .web domains.
All the reasons in the world could be given as to why they believe IOD
should be the registrar of .web, but the bottom line is that we all know
it boils down to the fact that IOD being accepted as the registrar is in
their best interests. I'm sure that people who have preregistered .web
domains through CORE registrars could come up with just as many good
reasons why the CORE registrars should control the .web namespace.

The bottom line is that many people are obviously influenced by who they
have pre-registered with. These people aren't thinking about creating an
open, fair, and competitive system. They are just thinking of
themselves, and in many cases, how much money they can make if they can
get generic .web domains.