[comments-gtlds] IOD does not register its own .web names

It has been said that Image Online Design and/or
its employees and/or associates have registered
the bulk of .web names.

Please allow me to dispel this as untrue.

Image Online Design has registered a number of
domains related to its name and the registry/registrar
function for .web. The company has also registered
"the.web" for a project that will be made public
once the registry is in the roots. In fact, here
is the complete list:

    image-online-design.web
    image-online.web
    image.web
    imageonline.web
    imageonlinedesign.web
    iodesign.web
    web-registry.web
    web-tld.web
    webregistrar.web
    webregistry.web
    webtld.web
    nic.web
    nicweb.web
    index.web
    registrar-web.web
    registrar.web
    registrarweb.web
    registry-web.web
    registryweb.web
    the-web.web
    the.web

I, personally, have registered "rhps.web"
and "punk.web", both for personal sites.

Our artistic director has registered "art.web"
for her own personal use.

While there may be one or two others that don't
come to mind, that's about it. I feel insulted
that I have to justify our own registrations,
especially considering the vast number of .com
names that NSI holds, and the equally vast
number held by registrars on their own behalf.

Finally, There is a reason why a number of
registrants are in the California area, and
that is because Image Online Design is very
active in local business. The profile of the
company is greatest in its own back yard. What
local businesspeople choose to do, with respect
to registering .web names, is completely out of
our control. Image Online Design has no ties
to these individuals except that many of them
are also known local businesspeople.

Would anyone have us put a one-name-per-person
limit on .web? It didn't work for .com, as
we all know. Would anyone have us either stop
participating in business fora, or restrict
registrations to outside of California only?

These accusations are nothing more than
sniping. I don't expect to see an apology,
but at least the facts put the lie to the
charge.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web