[comments-gtlds] Regarding Erica Roberts comment on behalf of Melbourne IT

I would like to respond to the comments made by Erica Roberts
(erica.roberts@melbourneit.com.au)

in a previous letter on this comments board.
I feel there is more to be said about what was written.

First of all it seems clear that she is speaking on behalf of Melbourne IT
www.melbourneit.com.au here in Australia.
A division of which is also Internet Name Worldwide who just happens to be
.. in their own words
(We are the largest domain name registrar in the Southern Hemisphere. )
Please feel free to check this at the following address
http://direct.internetnamesww.com/about.shtml

They also happen to be the company with which i have registered 30 dot.com
domains with (not for resale) and who i will most probably have to pay
another Aus$3300.00 per new GTLD to keep myself out of court fighting over
domain squatters wo would otherwise grab them.

I would like to ask who will really be profiting from the new GTLD's?
The registrar business is now big business and as the .com names run out
what better way to inject some more cash into the system than bring out new
GTLDs of course knowing that every .com owner will be forced into buying the
new version to aviod the legal fees later down the track.
I feel Erica Roberts should have mentioned that she is speaking on behalf of
"The largest domain name registrar in the southern hemisphere" which stands
to profit enormously from the introduction of the new domains. I would be
surprised to see the odd trademark lawyer throwing in their two cents here
somewhere as well.

If this is to be an open comments board we all need to throw our cards on
the table. I hope this letter has thrown her comments in a different light.
see below..
-----------
Quote-Erica Roberts  (erica.roberts@melbourneit.com.au)
"There is a strong consumer demand for new gTLDs and, by adopting the
recommendations of Working Group C, ICANN will demonstrate that it is able
to be responsive to consumer demand.

Melbourne IT supports the recommendations of WGC that:
1.  ICANN should add new gTLDs to the root; and
2.  ICANN should begin the deployment of new gTLDs with an ititial roll out
of six to ten new gTLDs, followed by an evaluation period."
end quote.
-------------
I do agree that there will be a strong consumer demand but i say for all the
wrong reasons. I know if 10 new gTLD's were introduced i would be looking at
A$33000.00 which would cripple my business and many others around the world
too.

Lets have some comments from gTLD users and gTLD owners not corporations
with vested interests.

Sincerely
Matthew Walker
www.freetradefront.com