[registrars] Chantge of date of creation of transferred domain names.

Dear ICANN:

Several of us were discussing the UDRP process and the large number of
cases being filed just now.

I suggested that some or many of them could be cases which were dropped on
3 January 2000 when NSI RegistraR abandoned its old system and adopted the
UDRP.

To check, we looked at the "creation" date of 20-30 of the cases on the web
site.  I was surprised to see the date on most (but not all) cases which
had been settled by transfer of domain were current, that is, year 2000 dates.

I presume that, in most cases, a new date is established.   However, that
is not uniform.  The cases I checked were all NSI RegistraR
registrations.  I think it might be best to establish the same policy in
all cases.

It might be best to have leave the original date as it was.

It would also be interesting to have a record of the original dates of
creation.  I realize that it's a bit late for what I am going to suggest,
but it would be helpful if the ICANN list showed the original creation date.

As time goes on, it would be hoped that fewer registrations would become
the subject of UDRP challenges.  I would hypothesize that the requirement
of "cash on the barrel head" would substantially reduce the number of
speculative registrations.  Further, the history of successful challenges
should act as a deterrent on cybersquatting in the future.

If the date I recommend were added to the ICANN list, it would be easier to
test my hypothesis.

Any thoughts?

Regards, BobC