[registrars] Clarification on Working Group C Vote

Just a minor clarification with regard to the following comment submitted
last week by Bob Connelly. First, I think everyone on this list knows that I
take very serious the concerns of the Registrar community. My "no" vote was
one new gTLD as part of a testbed phase to make sure that the safeguards
that we are now contemplating in Working Group B actually work.  Moreover,
as part of my position paper in Working Group B, I argue against the use of
filters/exclusions and instead advocate a sunrise period for a right of
first refusal for famous mark holders. This is a much more equitable
solution for registration authorities, i.e. we get paid for domain name
registrations and do not have to use filters which cost us money and slow
down the registration process - makes sense to me :)

Traditionally there has been an underlying tension between registration
authorities and intellectual property owners. One of the things that I have
been working on is fostering a better working relationship between these two
important constituencies.

Mike

P.S. Any nominations for a European Names Counsel representative to replace
Amadeu? Let me know.