[registrars] NC Voting

The voting for names counsel seats will begin today and will end Friday at
noon (EDT). The Votebot is not yet fully operational so we are going to do
it the old fashion way one last time. Those member that are eligible to vote
please forward your votes to me directly - or if you like to the list. You
are allowed to cast a total of 3 votes for three separate representatives,
just like the last time. Elizabeth is helping me upload the HTML files of
the nominees to the DNSO website this evening. Sorry but my UNIX skills are
not the best. So that there will be no further delay I have attached the
nominee HTML files to this e-mail for all to view. The nominees that I have
received confirmation from are:

Ken Stubbs (N. America)
Richard Lindsey (Asia/Pacific)
Amadeu Abril (Europe)
Jason Hendeles (N. America)
Richard Forman (N. America)
Ross Rader (N. America)

Sorry for the delay but the recent events (DOC/ICANN/NSI agreement, last
weeks teleconference, and my work as co-chair of Working Group B) have been
keeping me rather busy in addition to my day job. After this election we
will begin testing the Votebot to use in connection with the upcoming LA
meeting that should make things a little easier.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Mike

Title: Dear Fellow registrars

Dear Fellow registrars....

I have been asked to provide you with a brief summary of my background and related experience to help you in evaluating me for re-election to the names council

Over the last 18 months I have devoted a substantial amount of my time to registrar issues including testifying on 3 different occasions before the U.S. congress in an advocacy status on behalf of registrars.

As most of your are aware I have fought long and hard on behalf of the

ICANN-accredited registrars both before and during my current tenure representing our constituency on the names council. I have worked very hard on ALL of our behalves to try to insure that ALL registrars receive equitable and fair treatment in the transition process. I have lobbied and advocated on OUR behalf with the department of commerce as well as the congress.

I have also endeavored to create an awareness on ICANN's part of our concerns in how we should be treated both in our relationship with NSI but with them as well. I have participated in meetings with members of other constituencies on behalf of the registrar constituency in helping to develop a resolution dispute process which minimizes registrar exposure and liability and the creates of an environment of confidence which would provide a solid basis for future expansion of gtlds.

I am told that I have a very good reputation with the other constituencies and I feel that this is essential in achieving the mutual cooperation and respect which we need from others in the ICANN process in order to achieve our constituency's goals.

I have also worked very hard to maintain good communication with fellow

registrar-members and keep you aware of changes and proposed actions which could have serious impacts on our businesses. I promise that I will continue to work just as hard in the future to insure that our mutual interests and concerns are always well represented and given fair and equitable treatment.

As to my background, I have been the chairman of CORE for since may of 1998 and am also involved as a consultant to many corporations on internet growth and development strategies. I have been involved in the Internet from the business side for over 7 years and am also a certified public accountant. I have been married for 35 years.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime if you have any questions or need any elaboration on any issue. my contacts are listed below.

Thank you for your consideration

Ken Stubbs

e-mail: kstubbs@dninet.net

ICQ#: 18781607

Tel: 1 352 750-9776

Title: Ross Wm

Ross Wm. Rader, Director, eCommerce - TUCOWS.com Inc. (Domain Direct)

Fellow Registrars,

Please consider this self nomination for the upcoming Names Council election.

I am seeking election to the Name Council in order to best represent the interests of smaller registrars - both in North America and throughout the world. I feel strongly that the future of this industry lies not with the large players that continually attract the media attention, but with the smaller firms that account for the represent an overwhelming percentage of domain registrations. Today this includes Internet Service Providers, Web Hosting firms, domain name resellers and value added resellers - which account for the vast majority of ICANN accredited registrars today.

My experience within these sectors combined with the interests represented by my firms network of affiliates makes me specially suited to provide a reasonable voice concerning issues faced by firms such as mine at the Names Council level.

About Ross Wm. Rader

I am the director of eCommerce for TUCOWS.com Inc. one of the busiest Web content services in the world. TUCOWS currently has solid relationships with over 700 ISP affiliates throughout the world through our extensive affiliate relations program.

In addition to my primary responsibility overseeing the strategic development of our eCommerce initiatives, I am the business manager for Domain Direct. an ICANN accreditated registrar. We currently provide service to over 50,000 domain holders throughout the world. Lately, I have been very active in with the various issues surrounding ICANN and its efforts to bring competition to the current gTLDs as well as the creation of new ones through DNSOs Working Group C.

Prior to my career with TUCOWS, I was the Director of Marketing with Internet Direct Canada Ltd., Canadas largest independently held Internet Service Provider, from September 1994 through May 1999.

I am involved with a multitude of industry groups such as CAIP (Canadian Association of Internet Service Providers), CDNR (Coalition of Domain Name Registrars) and am a founding director of RISC (Responsible Internet Service Companies). Further, I maintain an extensive speaking schedule throughout the year at a variety of industry events.

I am a Canadian citizen currently residing in Toronto, Canada. TUCOWS.com is a privately held Delaware corporation with offices in Toronto, New York, Philadelphia and Flint.

If anyone has any questions concerning my views or this nomination, please feel free to contact me through any of the venues below.

Thanks,

Ross Wm. Rader

Director, eCommerce

TUCOWS.com Inc.

rwmrader@tucows.com

t. (416) 239-9095 x 335

f. (416) 239-8409

Title: Richard A

Richard A. S. Lindsay

E-mail: richard@interq.ad.jp

"My fellow Registrars..." Just in case we have not yet met, I have taken the liberty to include a picture. I have been acting for the past three months as the Asia Pacific representative of the Registrars Constituency to the preliminary Names Council of the Domain Name Supporting Organization. I believe I have carried out the tasks and responsibilities of the position with the patience (biggest requirement!) integrity and dilligence to represent our Constituency in the DNSO. Perhaps against better judgement, I nominate myself to suffer through more punishment by continuing to represent our growing group on the Names Council. I personally feel that I am fully qualified to assist the Names Council and the DNSO, and ICANN reach the next stage of legitimacy and actual operation.

A quick overview of interQ the Registrar, we are a small but rapidly growing ISP in Japan, and have been registering .jp domain names and gTLD domains for the past 2 years. interQ also provides a variety of virtual hosting services, and runs a nationwide network providing dial up service. In the interest of public disclosure, interQ is a member of the Council of Registrars (CORE), the Japan Network Information Center (JPNIC), the Asia & Pacific Internet Association (APIA), the Internet Association of Japan (IAJ) and a variety of Asia Pacific regional, and Japanese Internet and Telecommunication related organizations. Feel free to visit our home page, however, it is currently only in Japanese.

Below is an extremely standard style (and rather bland) resume, but in the interests of timeliness, it was the best thing I could find. I believe my diverse background has provided me sufficient skills and knowledge to fully participate in the Names Council. Most of all, I believe my common sense and fairly robust sense of humor have contributed to my success so far, and should allow me to maintain my sanity AND perhaps finally get some work done on the Names Council!

Resume

WORK EXPERIENCE

1997- present interQ inc. Tokyo, Japan

Director and General Manager, System Division

@

1996-97 MEDICAL BANK INSTITUTE Tokyo, Japan

Director, Network Department:

1995-96 AIRBORNE EXPRESS JAPAN Tokyo, Japan

Sales and Marketing Representative:

1994 FUJI XEROX CORPORATION Tokyo, Japan

Research Analyst:

@
1988-93 UNITED STATES NAVY

1991-93 HEADQUARTERS, US FORCES JAPAN Yokota AFB, Japan

Chief, Intelligence Analysis and Estimates:

1989-91 USS MIDWAY, CV-41 Yokosuka NB, Japan

Operations Intelligence Officer:

Multi-Sensor Intelligence Officer:

EDUCATION

1993-95 INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF JAPAN Niigata, Japan

Masters of Business Administration: Graduated 2nd out of 50, emphasis on international management and marketing. Participated in advanced intensive Japanese language program. Studied on exchange at UFSIA in Antwerp Belgium.

1988-89 NAVY INTELLIGENCE TRAINING COMMAND Norfolk, VA USA

Navy Intelligence Officer Basic Course: Specialized in analysis of geopolitical events, military technology issues, and preparations and presentation of executive level intelligence briefings. Designated as a General Intelligence Officer upon graduation.

1983-87 TUFTS UNIVERSITY Medford, MA USA

Bachelors of Arts in Russian Studies: Graduated Magna Cum Laude, with a double major in History. Studied on exchange at Exeter University, UK, and at was then Leningrad State University in the former USSR.

Other

Languages:

Japanese Passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Level 2

Russian Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) Level 2+

Title: 1

1. FULL NAME: JASON N HENDELES

2. E-MAIL ADDRESS: JASON@DOTPOWER.COM

3. ORGANIZATION YOU WORK FOR (IF APPLY): A TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, INC.

4. SNAIL-MAIL ADDRESS (STREET, CITY, COUNTRY): 23 MCKAYFIELD ROAD, TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA M4J 4P6

5. THE REGION THAT INCLUDES THE COUNTRY OF WHICH YOU ARE A CITIZEN: CANADA

6. THE REGION THAT INCLUDES THE COUNTRY IN WHICH YOU RESIDE: CANADA

7. A CLEAR STATEMENT OF ACCEPTANCE OF THE NOMINATION: I ACCEPT NOMINATION TO THE NAMES COUNCIL

8. IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE NAMES COUNCIL, STATE YOUR INTENTION (*)

TO RESIGN FROM THE NAMES COUNCIL IF YOU ARE ELECTED TO THE ICANN BOARD:

9. A CURRICULUM VITAE (NO MORE THAN 500 WORDS LONG):

Jason Hendeles is the acting President of ATC. With over 7 years of infrastructure development and telecommunications experience, Jason is recognized for his unique marriage of skills. In addition to having a wide range of high level information technology skills Jason has significant public company and non-profit company expertise. Some of his accomplishments include:

Designed the first asynchronous transfer network solutions for large scale commercial real estate projects in Canada.

Led the design and planning of Skyscape Communications, Inc. one of the first throughput guaranteed data network solutions.

Led the design and development team of the Internet Traffic Controller, an advanced BGP server able to perform proprietary high level routing functions.

Led the development and construction of private facilities and network solutions for major Canadian companies including UNUM Canada, Motorola, the Toronto Ambulance Dispatch System and many other established companies.

Was the senior consultant to founder Tim Roberts with the network design and strategic planning of the Digital Broadcast Network, a National Communications Network based in St. Louis, MO.

Submitting comments towards the Department of Commerce Green Paper and had associates meet with Department of Commerce to discuss and comment on the draft.

Was a significant participant in the Global Incorporation Alliance Workshop ("GIAW") and the International Forum on the White Paper.

Participated in the development of the Open Root Server Confederation ("ORSC") and infrastructure design and deployment under the leadership of Einar Stefferud.

Was a significant contributor to the ICANN public relations initiatives and worked directly with Susan Davis, Ken Stubbs, Michael Palage and others to successfully plan and initiate action against Network Solutions.

For the past two years, Jason has established himself as a prominent voice in the domain name industry. Jason is one of the first advocates for change in the domain name industry and has been actively involved in the process since 1996.

Outside the information technology industry, Jason acts as a Director on the Board of O&Y Properties, the largest real estate management company in Canada. Jason is also the Director of the Ydessa Hendeles Art Foundation, an Internationally renowned contemporary art museum based in Toronto, Canada. Other non-profit organizations Jason Hendeles has supported include: The Strategic Directions Committee of the Art Gallery of Ontario (Canada's premier museum); The Canadian Weizmann Institute of Science; The United Jewish Appeal and Israel Bonds.

Jason was also recently nominated to the Foundation Board of the Beth Tzedec, the largest Synagogue in North American. He is a creative and hard driving entrepreneur, with an uncommonly agile conceptual and analytical mind. Mr. Hendeles is a man with vision, but practical, with both feet squarely on the ground. His unique marriage of technology and non-profit company skills will form valuable addition to the ICANN team.

10. A STATEMENT INDICATING YOUR IDEAS, INTENTIONS AND/OR THE REASON WHY YOU CONSIDER YOU SHOULD BE ELECTED TO SERVE IN THE ICANN BOARD (NO MORE THAN 500 WORDS):

The next 24 months will see the birth of the domain name management services industry. In order for competitors to successfully emerge, we must work together to inspire changes that will give us the tools we need to survive and succeed. I offer ICANN a strong voice for change. If elected I will dedicate myself to communicating a unified voice with a consistent philosophy that is both responsive and convincing. The months ahead will be difficult as we continue to overcome a carefully developed strategy of passive resistance to change. I have the experience and skills to represent us and promise to be a strong force for our common interests.

Among the many issues I will address if elected, the important issues are as follows:

  1. BE RESPONSIVE TO THE OPPINIONS PRESENTED BY REGISTRARS AND EFFECTIVELY PRESENT AND RESOLVE ANY CONCERNS
  2. CREATE A WORKING GROUP TO DISCUSS AN IMPROVE CURRENT PRICE AND PAYMENT TERMS SET FOR DOMAIN NAME REGISTRATIONS
  3. PRESENT COMMENTS AND CONCERNS ABOUT DOMAIN NAME DISPUTE RELATED WORKING GROUPS AND PROCESS DEFINITION
  4. PROPOSE A SYSTEM TO ORGANIZE AND UNIFY THE INTERNIC/ICANN/CCTLD CONTACT DATABASES
  1. EXPLORE A MORE EFFICIENT PROCESS FOR ENABLING THE TRANSFER OF DOMAIN NAMES FROM ONE REGISTRAR TO ANOTHER
  2. CONTINUE TO REINFORCE AND ENHANCE ICANN'S POSITION AND AUTHORITY AND EXPLORING STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER INTERNET ORGANIZATIONS TO ASSIST WITH THIS EFFORT
  3. QUICKLY AND AGRESSIVELY ADDRESS PASSIVE NON-COMPETITIVE BEHAVIOUR INITIATED BY NETWORK SOLUTIONS OR OTHER RELATED ORGANIZATIONS
  4. ASSIST COUNTRY CODE REGISTRY'S TO COMMUNICATE AND COORDINATE THEIR SERVICES WITH REGISTRARS
  5. EXPLORE AND RECOMMEND THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN EFFECTIVE PROCESS FOR THE DEPLOYMENT OF NEW TOP LEVEL DOMAIN NAMES.
  6. PROPOSE DOMAIN NAME POLICY AND MAKE CREATIVE RECOMMENDATIONS TO SPECIFIC ISSUES.
  7. CREATIVELY PULL TOGETHER STRONG TEAMS OF PEOPLE WITH DISTINCTIVE SKILLS TO RESOLVE CONCERNS AS THEY ARRISE

I pledge to effectively represent the views of the Registrar's and communicate our concerns with strength and clarity. I have the experience and creative skills to both contribute solutions and make the difficult decisions that need to be made if we are to create a level playing field for domain name registration services.

Your continued support throughout this initiative will give us the momentum we need to succeed.

Jason Hendeles, ATC

Title: Forman_Richard

Nomination of Richard Forman,
President and CEO of register.com,
to the DNSO Names Council

About register.com

Register.com is an accredited domain name registrar. Since being selected as one of the five test-bed registrars by ICANN in April 1999, register.com was the first registrar to go live in registering .com, .net and .org domain names alongside Network Solutions, Inc. Register.com also registers a variety of ccTLDs, among them .md, .co.uk, .co.org, .tf, .ac, .ms., .vg, .tc, .gs, and .ky.

Register.com has demonstrated its technical and managerial capabilities by becoming one of the test bed registrars. The company has been involved with the IFWP (International Task Force for the White Paper) process, familiar with the Boston Working Group and a consistent attendee at most of the ICANN open meetings.

Register.com began to process domain name registration requests in February of 1998 and forwarded these requests onto Network Solutions, Inc. at no charge to the customer. During 1998 and through the first five (5) months of 1999, the Company believes that it was one of the largest forwarder of domain name registration requests to Network Solutions, Inc.

Commitment to Deregulation

Given the companys unique position as the first competitor in the domain name registration market, register.com is committed to responsibly and intelligently furthering the deregulation process as well as the stable growth of the industry. Richard Formans belief is that competition will help the domain registration market grow and develop to the benefit of all registrars through the introduction of new business models and services. To this end, the Company has attempted to establish a working relationship with both Network Solutions, Inc. and ICANN.

As a member of the Names Council, Mr. Forman would continue to advance the shared mission of all registrars to make domain registration widely accessible to the public while maintaining high quality, reliable and available services. In leading a company that is both a small start-up and an industry leader, Mr. Formans experience puts him in an ideal position to represent a wide range of registrars concerns and aid in the advancement of effective policy proposals as part of the Names Council.

Richard Forman: Personal Background

Richard D. Forman is the President, CEO and Chairman of the Board of register.com, a firm he co-founded in 1994. Previously, Mr. Forman worked as a consultant with Booz, Allen & Hamilton, Inc. where he consulted to Fortune 500 companies on over twenty projects. These projects included strategy, operations and systems assignments for telecommunications firms, automotive manufacturers, investment banks and media companies. Prior to Booz, Allen & Hamilton, Inc., Richard Forman worked as an intern with Motorola, General Motors, Inc. and Lehman Brothers Kuhn & Loeb, Inc.

Mr. Forman is a 1987 Cum Laude graduate of the University of Pennsylvanias Management and Technology Program, and earned a BS in Economics from the Wharton School and a BS in Electrical Engineering from the Moore School. At Penn, Mr. Forman was elected to Eta Kappa Nu (an electrical engineering honor society), Tau Beta Pi (an engineering honor society), Hexagon (a senior society) and was the Chairman of the Universitys branch of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers).