Re: [registrars] ICANN Task Force on Funding Update

Greetings, Fellow Registrars:

While I have to agree that the political ramifications of the $1 per domain
name were substantial at one time, I think we should reconsider dismissing
that as a possible funding source for ICANN.

The only reason the $1 became such a political nightmare is because NSI's
lobbying group was successful in gaining the ear of certain congresspeople
and media outlets and convincing them that ICANN was this big, bad ugly
taxation monster out to consume whatever it could. In reality, everyone who
knew the real situation thought the $1 per domain name was MORE than fair
and quite frankly prudent.

We need to consider seriously, as a group, standing up and supporting that
$1 per name charge now because ICANN needs it and it's not too much to ask
of the consumer.

After the most recent congressional hearings (when NSI finally felt a
little of the heat) and the highly publicized monetary bailout of ICANN
through donations, I think the public became more aware of the true nature
of ICANN and re-thought its position on the $1 charge. I think most people
now know that $1 per domain name is not an arbitrary tax afterall but a
necessary fee, and that ICANN is actually working for the good of consumers
not against them.

Before we dismiss it, let's rethink the $1 charge. It's fair, it's
reasonable and ICANN needs it to survive.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Jeff Shrewsbury
Info Avenue Internet Services