RE: [registrars] ICANN Task Force on Funding Update

Jason Hendeles wrote:

Essentially, there are two options which stand out in my mind as the most
logical...a donation strategy and or an equity market strategy.  In either
case, ICANN must begin to develop a comprehensive budget and business plan
which the participating registrars are prepared to approve (which in my
opinion may be the more complicated battle).  The following is an outline of
these two strategies in more detail:

OPTION A:	DONATION STRATEGY

STEP 1:	ICANN develops a comprehensive budget outlining their minimum and
optimistic capital requirements.  These numbers will require substantiated
assumptions and supporting information.

STEP 2:	A select group of qualified consulting company(s) will create
budgets and business planning information and evaluate potential donation
candidates.  This plan will provide:

		- Projected annual expenditures and capital requirements
		- a list of potential contributors
		- Tax benefits realizable by donations
		- Non-profit legal re-organization
		- Some signage rights or means of rewarding contributors
		- Potential fundraising management candidates focusing on an experience
chairman
		- Possible Department of Commerce assistance and support

STEP 3:	Define intangible benefits of donating and create a
marketing/fundraising strategy.

OPTION B:	DEBT AND EQUITY MARKET STRATEGY

STEP 1:	ICANN develops a comprehensive budget outlining their minimum and
optimistic capital requirements.  These numbers will require substantiated
assumptions and supporting information.

STEP 2:	A select group of qualified consulting company(s) will create
budgets to create a prospectus and/or institutional package enabling the
creation of a debt financing instrument.  This prospectus/package will
provide:

		- Industry growth information
		- Projected revenue from registrations
		- Capital Securitization strategies
		- Projected financial statements supported by a top 3 accounting firm
		- Commitment agreements signed by all the participating registrars
		- Capital risk evaluation (which will effect the issues pricing)

STEP 3:	ICANN will then distribute/shop the package among leading
institutional players.  Once the issue is priced/evaluated, it can be either
offered to one large scale institutional company or pieced off in the form
of a public debt offering.

The debt based offering might have the following characteristics:

	a.	The $ amount will be adequate to support ICANN for a minimum of 3 years.
	b.	The amount will be evenly be distributed on a per registration basis
across the participating registrars.
	c.	All registrars will sign a contract whereby they agree to are legally
bound to contribute $x per domain name registration until such time as the
interest and principal of the ICANN loan is repaid.  Failure to perform
provisions will apply.
	d.	The debt offering will have a competitive interest rate to the risks
involved, thereby enticing the investment community.  It may also have
special tax incentives as well.

STEP 4:	Upon successfully securing the capital, there could then be a
pre-designed process to move towards a flat rate annually based on
registration volume.

This approach seems to be the fastest way to secure strong financing for
ICANN.  I doubt a fundraising effort would be successfully considering the
commercial potential of the industry.

I would be happy to begin to meet with several financing company's to
explore this option further...but we need a plan first.

Jason Hendeles