[registrars]

[registrars] Yet another credit card harvesting scam -- targets AOL users

Howdy,

A Verisign Registrar customer, "Verify.Com", appears to be sending out
fake notices to AOL customers, e.g., my spouse, with mail that purports
to be from "billing@aol.com", encouraging them click on a link and renew
their account (e.g., credit card) data. The link points to aol.verify.com,
and check mail to "billing@aol.com" results in a bounce (user unknown).

In a better world, about 15 minutes after this message leaves my keyboard,
resolvers asking the .com root servers for this domain name name would be
either returned NXDOMAIN, or a handy redirect over to the FTC's weekend
online scam page.

Cheers,
Eric