From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Archer
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:24 PM
To: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] Brian Cute from NSI is the wrong person for the
whois privacy committee

Hi All?

I just wanted to take a moment to explain why I feel Brian Cute is not
an
appropriate choice for the whois privacy steering committee.

Brian has been working in our industry only since February.  In general,
would oppose placing someone so new to our group and our industry in a
position this substantial.

But Brian's nomination raises greater concerns.  Brian is now Director
of
Policy at NSI, currently the registrar with the most market share, the
most
cash to throw around, the most clout in Washington DC and, perhaps, the
most quickly tumbling stock price.

We all know that NSI has in the past engaged in what many people have
agreed are deceptive marketing practices.  They were told to stop
repeatedly by US courts before they completely stopped. I have been
contacted privately by a number ? and not a small number ? of people
since
my last postings on this topic who told me that there were in fact more
lawsuits than I mentioned, and at least one investigation as well.  More

troubling, most of these people said although they agree that Brian is
not
a proper choice, they would prefer not to say so publicly.

Speaking from direct experience, our customers and staff received the
"renewal notices."  The only way we can see that NSI got the registrant
information is from whois.  If the data came from some other source then

whois I would like for NSI to tell me, and all of us, where they got it.

Until they do, what we have here is compelling circumstantial evidence
that
NSI mined the whois data or acquired it from someone else who mined it
for
use in this deceptive marketing, and who knows what other purposes.

When asked directly if Brian supports the use of whois data for this
purpose, he declines to answer.  When asked directly if he feels that
the
marketing campaign was proper, he refuses to answer, even though the US
courts have ruled against NSI.  Why is it that Brian and NSI can not
simply
admit that they made a mistake?  Why won't they say that they won't do
it
again.  Do they still have the data?

It is inconceivable that Brian reports to different people than those
who
not just authorized and conducted that "renewal" campaign and who
continued
it (to some extent) even after a court ordered them to stop.  Why do
they
want Brian on this committee?  Why are they willing to expend resources
support his membership on this committee? Can you really convince
yourself
that it is because they want to benefit all registrars and our industry?

Do you really believe that Brian will support policies that his
superiors
oppose?  Do you really believe he will oppose policies his superiors
support?  And, most of all, would you support Brian's superiors as
members
of the whois privacy committee?  If not, then you should not support
Brian.

So here we are today, selecting a representative for the whois "privacy"

committee.  So far Brian has 8 votes!   Folks, putting Brian Cute on
this
committee is just like assigning the fox to guard the henhouse.  As
others
have correctly noted, this is not a big-registrar vs small registrar
issue.
Its just a right vs wrong issue.  This is wrong.

Jim

James W. Archer
CEO
http://www.RegistrationTek.com