[registrars]

[registrars] Question about existing data and whois? Which of us does whoisreform benefit?

Which reminds me to put on the list an issue I have been wondering about.

If port 43 whois goes away, will there be an effort made to provide new
registrars, or registrars who have not begun or completed their data mining
operations, with all the data that other registrars have already mined?
For example, we know some registrars were in the habit of sending mail
notices to the customers of their competitors in an effort to get
transfers.  So we know some registrars have a big database of our
customers, their names and their expiration dates.

If we shut off port 43 whois, then this would clearly place registrars who
don't have this mined (read - stolen) data at a distinct disadvantage.  How
will this be compensated for?  Should everyone start mining data right
away?  Of course, most registrars put copyright notices on their data and
other licensing terms, but it seems that this notice is completely and
utterly ignored.

Jim

--On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 10:29 AM -0500 Donny Simonton