[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Teleconference Invitation: Whois

> I can summarize what I've learned in three years of whois-ing.
<snip>

This is great stuff - thanks Eric.

One point I want to extract and emphasize -  954 is still a peachy (but
showing its age) standard. Problem is, we don't have any good social
mechanisms to guide how, where, why, when it should/should not be
used/abused Any new "standards" that get dropped in our lap will suffer
this same deficiency.

Whois isn't the problem, we are. Until and unless we recognize that
having a strong technical standard is not a blanket substitute for
having a strong social standard, I'm a afraid that we won't be able to
break out of the cycle that we find ourselves in.

We may find through the social exercises that we need more technical
knobs and dials to facilitate our requirements - that's when we should
start fobbing. But as you imply, we're not really at that stage.

Let's wrap our arms around this and get it done.

> I suggest we implement first, test deploy, and then
> "standardize", using a
> modicum of legal steering to avoid the obvious anti-trust shoals.

No disagreement from this end of the bitpipe.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/