[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Bylaw Request

Actually, I agree with Michael that the proposed bylaws could use some work
in the area of conflicts of interest and disclosure.

"Those nominated to stand for election must disclose their interests
"including contracts of employment or personal services to a Member, any
member of another ICANN Constituency, or other Observer to the Constituency.
Such positions shall include, but not be limited to: officer, director,
consultant, or employee." etc..."

I think the current language too narrowly defines areas of disclosure.  For
example "member (or observer) of another ICANN constituency" means what?
Someone who pays dues to another constituency?  Someone who attends ICANN
meetings?  Is a company automatically a member or observer of a constituency
if they never have attended or observed an ICANN meeting?

We need to allow members to disclose potential conflicts even if the
specific situation was not originally specificed in the bylaws.

For example: Lets' say Proctor & Gamble decides to sue a Registrar A because
a registrant registered a doman name that P&G claims infringes on a
trademark and P&G is not happy with how the Registrar is handling it.  In
the course of its dispute, P&G (or its law firm) engages the services of
Registrar B for investigation, etc..  Is Registrar B required to disclose
this?  I would hope so.  But under the current wording, they are not.

I propose adding the following sentence: "A member is required to disclose a
contractual relationship with ANY third party who is pursuing legal action
against another member."

Comments?

Tom Barrett