[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Proposed Ballots

> I am all for making an even stiffer restiction on
> port-43, like not having one at all except to do transfers
>  IP and law enforcement can get the information via our
> websites which is more easily protected from mining by for
> example using gifs that many of us already use there. It is
> difficult to do this via port 43

Paul - small problem - there is no clear definition of "IP" or law
enforcement. Should any member of a bar that identifies themselves as an
intellectual property attorney be allowed access to the special whois
that you describe? What about trademark holders? Only registered
trademark holders or are common law rights good enough? Copyright
holders? Patent holders? Patent applicants? People with good ideas?
What about law enforcement? Judges? Beat cops? UN patrolman?

The problem lies not with the restrictions, but with the application of
those restrictions. Subjectivity of this nature just ends up costing us
money - money that none of us should be willing to spend this easily.

-rwr