From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org] On
Behalf Of Monte
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 2:26 PM
To: Bruce Tonkin; tom; registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] Credit card fraud and transfers

All,

I feel strongly about doing what ever we can as an industry to protect
the
small, medium and large registrars against credit card fraud.  When
running
a virtual business such as a registrar, risk is much greater than the
"normal" business.  We cannot check identity of the purchaser by looking
at
their picture or check their ID as you can an a regular retail
environment.
Granted, you can put in CVV2 and AVS as extra protection however, only 2
countries support these two methods of extra security checking.  In
summary,
fraud is much greater on the internet than it is in brick and mortar and
if
we put some extra time on the domain transfer process, it can only help.

The next and more important step (mountain) will be to change the way
the
registry handles this.  The 5 day grace period after registration for
all
circumstances is a problem when it comes to fraudulent domain
registrations.
If you cannot rectify or if the domain is registered for more than 5
days
until banks clear and records are looked at, then the only one that wins
is
the registry because your organization just bought the domain.

I would like to propose that this be a key issue of discussion and
change in
the very near future.

Monte Cahn

Moniker Online Services LLC

O: 954.984.8445

F: 954.969.9155

monte@moniker.com <mailto:monte@moniker.com>

 <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =