From: Michael D. Palage [mailto:michael@palage.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:34 AM
To: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] Bulk Whois Ballot

Brian:

Thank you for sending this proposed ballot and supporting documentation to
the Registrar Executive Committee. I will ask Rick to create a ballot with
an extended voting window (2 weeks) on this proposal. Having talked to a
number of constituencies over the past couple of weeks on this matter I
would like to offer the following friendly amendment. Specially, the
preamble should read "The Registrar Constituency proposes that ICANN TAKE
AFFIRMATIVE STEPS TOWARDS eliminating the Bulk WHOIS obligation".

The reason for this friendly amendment is as follows. First, I believe it is
a more prudently worded statement that gives our constituency and names
council representatives more flexibility in achieving the desired result of
removing the Bulk Access provisions. I believe the original worded document
would unreasonably alienate the business and intellectual property
constituencies that would be worried about third party intellectual property
monitoring services. Some of these services which are offered by a number of
ICANN accredited registrars and members of this constituency.

Second, I believe that providing the names council or the ICANN Board with
ultimatums is never a productive negotiating skill. Moreover, rewriting the
bi-lateral contracts between ICANN and accredited registrars may not be as
easy as some people think. I will dig up some correspondence that ICANN
provided last year on this matter.

I believe that registrars working in conjunction with the user community
whose concerns about privacy have long been ignored, along with the
intellectual property constituency is the best way to achieve a
comprehensive "TIMELY" solution to a Whois model that fails to meet the
needs of most Internet stakeholders. I believe that by working together we
can achieve a common goal much more quickly than if we were to advance a
solution that only addressed our concerns.

Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Mike