[registrars]

[registrars] Modification to timetable for Election of GNSO Council member

Hello All,

There have been some adjustments to the voting timetable for the election of ICANN Board directors by the GNSO Council.  If registrars wish to have their new council member participate in the full process we will need to notify the ICANN Secretary of our decision 24 hours before the end of first round of voting (ie by March 12, 15:00 UTC).

The original timetable was:
- 12 day nomination period
(starting Wed 26 Feb 2002 concluding 2400 hours GMT time 9 March 03)
- 7 day election period
(starting Mon 10 March 2003 concluding 2400 hours GMT time 17 March 03)
- new candidate appointed to the GNSO Council on 18 March 2003

I propose the following compressed timetable:
- nominations period ceases Friday 7 March at 15:00 UTC  (10am Washington, 7am Los Angeles)
- election period starts Friday 7 March at 17:00 UTC (12 noon Washington, 9am Los Angeles)
- election period closes Tuesday 11 March at 15:00 UTC (10am Washington, 7am Los Angeles)
- winning candidate to be notified to the ICANN secretary by Wednesday 12 March at 15:00 UTC
- winning candidate to lodge vote to GNSO Secretary by Thursday 13 March at 15:00 UTC

Please post to the list if you have any objections, or even if you support the process above.

Please note that we have one candidate so far that has been nominated and accepted:
Thomas Keller from Schlund

Bruno Peirulli from Register IT has been nominated, but has not yet accepted the nomination.

During the election period for our representative on the GNSO Council, I recommend we also post a ballot containing the candidates for the ICANN Board that have been nominated by the GNSO Council, so that registrars may provide advice to the GNSO council members on their preferred candidates.

Please also note that the Chair of the Registrars Constituency, Michael Palage, has been nominated as a candidate for the ICANN Board.  This will put him in a difficult position with regard to managing the election of a registrars representative on the GNSO Council.
Rick Wesson our CTO on the registrars Executive committee thus should have prime responsibility for the logisitics of this election.  Ken Stubbs and myself are keeping Rick informed of the various procedures that relate to the GNSO Council election.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin