[registrars]

RE: CONCERNS ...Re: [registrars] Deletes Task Force Motion

> it is already after 6pm in Europe & the middle of the nite in
> the far east and already we are talking about instituting a
> vote on a motion from the constituancy with ONLY 3 BUSINESS
> DAYS days available for interaction &  consultation in many
> parts of the world..
>
> i would EARNESTLY  hope that in crafting the new by-laws a
> "methodology" be included for insuring a proper time period
> for adequate "consultation & discussion" process surrounding
> motions placed before the constituancy..
>
> this is, in my opinion, the only real way to insure adequate
> participation by the full constituancy and the ensuing
> "legitimacy" which would attach to the results

Points well taken Ken.

However, I think that its important to note that we have already had
substantial discussion on Tim's motion both in DC and on this list.
While it is just today that he made the formal motion, he is not
surprising the constituency with anything new. Everyone has had an
opportunity to feed their input into Tim over the last few weeks and
most have. Call for the vote is simply, I believe, a formality at this
point.

We can't let process get in the way of making sure that Tim hears our
voice. Without this guidance, he will be rudderless going into his Task
Force meetings - a dynamic that definitely would not serve the
collective interests of registrars (save Verisign based on Brian's
latest commentary).

There are even fewer business days before the ballot in APAC - I
completely agree with your comments at a high level, but we aren't
helping Tim by delaying a vote at this point - let's try and take a
practical approach to this, get Tim the feedback that he needs and make
sure that the bylaws effectively deal with the problem that you
describe. We've suffered a lot of procedural inequity lately, but lets
not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

As was pointed out to me in DC - we are here to take apart a monopoly
and replace it with a competitive market - but we can't let flags on the
play distract us from the fact that we aren't finished yet. If we do let
ourselves get bogged down with distractions instead of developing
appropriate practice and policy then we had better be satisfied with a
poorly thought out oligopoly - because that's the status quo that we
suffer under today.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/