[registrars]

RE: [registrars] POTENTIAL LEGAL PITFALL

Ross,

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I have been a vocal proponent of
getting the GAC involved in a constructive manner to assist in resolving
some globally complex problems, i.e. Whois and fraud. Please refer to my
various statements over the past year.

With regard to your statement about the FTC not doing you (I assume your
employer TUCOWS) not much good, last time I checked  TUCOWS was a US
corporation, although your principal offices are in Canada. I could be wrong
as I have not read your last security filings.

I do not know what short-term political agenda you refer to. As previously
stated, the Registrars have sought to work with law enforcement since its
inception, i.e. Spring 2000 meeting the FBI and DOJ, FTC meeting last Fall.
For the past 6 months I have been trying to raise an awareness for credit
card fraud. In addition, I continue to hear about various bills (proposed US
legislation) that will be introduced this year that will have strick Whois
accuracy provisions. For those registrars that would like, I could provide a
copy of my testimony before the US House Judiciary last Spring where I tried
to identify some of the short comings in the proposed legislation. Although
I believe registrars have a contractual duty to ensure data accuracy, doing
so must be done in a responsible manner which takes into account a
cost/benefit analysis.

My long term agenda since I began providing leadership to this constituency
almost 4 years ago has been to proactively address situations, instead of
reactively. There are a lot of users out there that do not speak highly of
registrars, on a regular basis I try to dispell these misconceptions. All
registrars are not created equal, however, some are more responsible than
others. In total, I believe that most registrars are responsible small
business men and women trying to make a living and I will continue to
advance their common interests even after I conclude my current term as
Chair.

Mike