[registrars]

RE: FW: [registrars] the iana function

I get to the same place as Bruce here although I take a slightly different
road.

For me peace with the ccs and rirs is the most critical task at hand for
ICANN. There will be a new CEO shortly whose first orders of business will
be (I desperately hope) to accomplish those two things. It is my view that
looking for a change in the IANA function right now would significantly
complicate this dynamic to a point that it could throw the whole issue into
disarray.

There are a huge number of moving parts right now. We do not need to add
another one, especially one as central as this.

Another important point worth noting is that for most every registrar above
a de minimus level of business ccTLDs are an important revenue stream. This
is especially true for registrars outside the US. The fact that the RC lives
inside the GNSO in the current reform is understandable, but is not absolute
in its construction. I would be surprised if, in a year from now, the
genesis of a registrar involvement in the CCSO did not come from this
constituency.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Elliot Noss