   Subject: Re: [registrars] PersonalNames.com
   From: Jim Archer <jarcher@registrationtek.com>
   Date: Fri, February 7, 2003 3:37 am
   To: tim@godaddy.com

   Hi Tim...

   --On Friday, February 07, 2003 3:25 AM -0700 Tim Ruiz
   <tim@godaddy.com>  wrote:

   > I believe the RC should indeed take heed hear. Not because
   > PersonalNames itself is such a threat, the .NAME name space isn't
   > making anyone a stack of cash is it? But the concept is certainly
   > disconcerting.

   I completely agree, especially about the non-existent stack of cash
   ;-)

   > And PersonalNames isn't setting any real precedent. We already have
   > NSI/VGRS and there are other members of this constituency who are
   > involved in both the registrar and registry side of things.

   True enough.  But in most cases, there is not complete ownership and
   control over the registrar entity by the registry entity.  Yes, some
   registrars are involved in registries to some extent.  And yes, NSI is
    owned by Verisign's parent, although not by the registry itself
   (there is  also history to mitigate the NSI/VGRS issue).  Clearly,
   this is incestuous.  I may be mistaken, but I do believe this is the
   first instance of a  registry wholly owning and controlling a
   registrar.  If this is not the  case (that GNR controls the
   PersonalNames), or if this is not the first  case of a registry owning
   and controlling a registrar, please correct me.

   > I think Ross has the right idea as to how to approach this for now.
   > He recently proposed we institute some new qualifications for
   > membership in the RC. I would prefer to continue to pursue that for
   > now, and not get involved in actions that will not likely result in
   > anything positive. We cannot pursue PersonalNames without involving
   > the NSI/VGRS issue, and that issue has already been driving around
   > the block a few times.

   I disagree.  I think the NSI/VGRS issue is similar but different, as I
    noted above.

   I am all for restrictions on their membership and/or participation in
   the  RC as Ross suggested.  I think we need to do more.  Honestly, I
   don't  expect the RC as a whole will really act in the manner I
   suggested, but it  is our opinion that the RC should do this and so I
   proposed it.

   Thanks for the reply!

   Jim

   James W. Archer