[registrars]

RE: [registrars] PersonalNames.com

Ross,

I have worked as a consultant with Afilias since its inception when I help
put together the original 18 registrar shareholders. I have also worked with
.coop and .aero in identifying registrars to provide registrar services in
their respective TLDs. I really have no idea of what proprietary information
that registries have regarding the operation of your business.

The only documents that a registry maintains on a registrar: are names of
employees to contact (some/most of these names are publicly available on the
ICANN web site); signed copies of confidentiality agreements and Registry
Registrar Agreements (these documents are publicly available); how much
money the registrar wishes to keep in his account (all one really needs to
do is look at the registrars quarterly payments to ICANN or one of the
industry reports and figure the number domains and multiple by the registry
fee); insurance documents (minimum terms are publicly available); and thats
about it.

The purpose of the structural separation between VRSN registry/registrar was
to prevent the registry from tipping its hat toward new technology
developments and pricing advantages. This structural separation was
critically important to provide registrars a level playing field to compete
and one of the reasons why in the last contract negotiations we required 90
day notice prior to any technical changes as a result of the IDN role out.

In the case of PersonalNames I agree that if GNR provides any type of
competitive advantage to PersonalNames that would be a violation of their
Registry contract that should result in termination of their contract.
However, excluding their participation in the registrar constituency would
potentially require all Afilias shareholders to step down, Melbourne IT
because of their interest in NeuStar, Register.com because of their interest
in RegistryPro.

Just trying to address your concerns because I believe the PersonalNames/GNR
is not much different from NetworkSolutions/VRSN. However, I do agree with a
number of registrars that it is clearly in appropriate for the registrar to
tout its relationship with the registry in the website advertising. That
should come down immediately in my humble opinion.

Just some thoughts,

Mike