From: Neuman, Jeff [mailto:Jeff.Neuman@neustar.us]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 3:24 PM
To: 'ross@tucows.com'
Cc: 'michael@palage.com'; 'wessorh@ar.com'
Subject: .US WHOIS POLICY

Ross,

Can I ask you to post this to the Registrars list.  Hopefully it will answer some of your concerns.

1)  The US Policy Council is an independent body and with the exception of having one member serve as a voting member on the council (and another as a technical advisor), it is not a part of NeuStar.  NeuStar does not control any actions of the Policy Council.

2)  The US Policy Council decided to forward the policy to NeuStar for its comments.  That's all that the vote means.  NeuStar will provide its comments to the Policy Council who then, depending on our comments, may revise the policy.  If the .us Policy Council wishes to move forward, it will then place the policy open for public comment for a period of approximately 30 days.  When the policy is out for public comment, NeuStar would like to hear from anyone and everyone about the Policy (good, bad, indifferent, etc.).

Speaking on behalf of NeuStar, you can bet the we are interested in hearing from our customers as well as the general public.  After the public comment period, the US Policy Council will read the comments and decide whether or not changes are warranted.  After being considered by the Council, the Policy will then again be floated by NeuStar, and if accepted, will go to the Department of Commerce.

3)  As you can see, the Policy is far from being final and there are still a lot of issues to be worked.  NeuStar would like to hear from you about this policy (through the public forum and through other means) at any time (and certainly during the public comment period).

4)  The Registrar rep. on the Council is Bulk Register and they are there to represent the Registrar point of view.  That being said, any Registrar may comment on the policy through the forum (http://lists.neustar.biz/mailman/listinfo.cgi/policy-forum) at any time.  I urge all of you to join the forum and please help us to make policy that will benefit us all.

I hope that helps.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Director, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Loudoun Tech Center
46000 Center Oak Plaza
Building X
Sterling, VA 20166
p: (571) 434-5772
f:  (571) 434-5735
e-mail: Jeff.Neuman@Neustar.us

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail message and any attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.