From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Bruce Tonkin
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 3:21 PM
To: 'registrars@dnso.org'
Subject: [registrars] Call for registrars to participate in an
implementation analysis for WHOIS

Hello All,

Please note that WHOIS is becomming an icnreasingly important issue for law
enforcement and Governments, and if we don't actively engage in coming up
with practical solutions we are likely to face potentially draconian laws
passed in each country - this will substantially increase our costs of
operationing internationally.  I strongly advise registrars to actively
engage in seeking global WHOIS solutions where possible, that can be
implemented cost  effectively.  To date we have been mainly reacting to the
ICANN process on WHOIS, whereas we should be leading the debate like we have
been with transfers.

Please notify me and the list if you wish to participate in the
implementation work on the new WHOIS consensus policy.  The implementation
work will analyse how to practically implement the recommendations in the
WHOIS Task Force report for both com/net registry (ie RRP) and biz/info/name
(ie EPP) registries, and identify any issues with the policy recommendations
that cannot be solved in implementation.  The work will also take into
account the public comments received on the task force report.

I am looking for a small team of people prepared to spend significant time
on this topic over the next month (ie several hours per week to read and
analyse material and actively contribute suggestions, plus teleconferences).
The volunteers should have a strong knowledge of the business processes of
an operational registrar, that can bring different experiences to the
discussion.

The team will work with registry representatives, and the team will also
have user representatives that served on the transfers task force to ensure
that the implementation work is consistent with the intent of the policy
recommendations.

The first role will be to provide advice on extracting the new consensus
policy from the WHOIS task force report, and tightening the wording so as to
clear up any misunderstandings.  This will need to be done in the next
couple of weeks, so that the Council (now called GNSO) can accept the WHOIS
recommendations prior to finalising the report for the Board in February.

The final outcome will be an implementation report that will be added to the
WHOIS task force report before it is submitted to the ICANN Board.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin