[registrars]

RE: [registrars] EPP Informed Consent - Game Set and Match ????

Mike,

Ok ... as a Registry Consultant, can you pull those stats ?

And as to .ca, I am not sure that the way they do it is any better.  In
fact, it is rather draconian and heavy-handed on the Registry side of things
that often pisses off our client's and frustrates them.

But here it is anyhow.

In the .ca world, the Registrant is ASSIGNED a userid and password by the
Registry.  The Userid is typically a 6 digit number like 185473 and the
password is always of the format 4 characters followed by 8 numbers.  ie:
rvec23163871. Obviously both are something that is almost impossible for the
Regsitrant to memorize.  They are set by the Registry and can not be chosen
by the Registrant.

To effect any critical changes to the domain, such as transfers or change of
admin contact, the Registrant must first go to the Registrar, and apply for
the changes.  The Registrar then sends the changes to the Registry using an
archaic (and proprietary) HTTPS XML command.

The Registrant must then log into the Registry using their userid and
password and acknowledge the change.  The Registry takes the view that only
the Registrant can authorize any changes, and the Registrar is not to be
trusted and can not authorize these changes.

The problems start to occur when the Registrant has no idea what his Userid
and Password are.  They are emailed directly to the Registrant by the
Registry when the domain is created.

To help solve this, the Registrar (in fact, any Registrar, including the
gaining Registrar) can send a command to the Registry asking the Registry to
resend the userid and password to the Admin Contact.  As they are a thick
Registry (VERY VERY thick!), they already have the admin email of the
Registrant and will resend out the userid and password.

The bigger problem comes when this admin email address is no longer valid.
Now the Registrant must start a process with the Registrar to have this
changed.  Because the change of this email address is considered "critical
information" by the Registry, the Registrant must log in and verify it with
the Registry.  Of course, they can't do this as they don't have the
password.  So now the Registry starts a process of emailing both the new
proposed admin contact and the old one, asking for verification.  This
manual email process takes a minimum of 7 days currently, but often takes as
long as 21 days.   Frankly, it just doesn't work and really frustrates
Registrants.

The other big problem is the losing Registrar has absolutely no way of
stopping the transfer.  Not even in cases of non-payment of fraud.

If the .ca Registry went to a system similar to .us or .info, where the
Registrar actually controls the domain, then some of their procedures might
be more tollerable.  It is also important to keep in mind that to be a .ca
Registrar, you do not need to be able to speak EPP or any other protocol
like it.  The Registry accepts ALL communications with them through their
proprietary XML system, AS WELL AS through a website AND EMAIL ! (yep ..
thats right, you can email the Registry any command and they will parse it,
and reply by email).

I think perhaps the only thing they do that might be beneficial in the .us
environment would be that they will email out the userid/password.  FOr
example, it might be beneficial if the .us Registry were to allow a
Registrar to ask that the AuthCode be emailed to the Registrant (by the
Registry).  This would stop Registrars from not giving it out to their
clients, or making it hard.  Any Registrar could then ask the Registry to
send out the AuthCode.  Then the only debate is what does that email look
like (it should be standardized), and who does it look like its coming from
(ie: the Registrar would typically want it to look like it is coming from
them, or at the least, not branded as anyone).

In addition, the .us Registry could always send out a new AuthCode that
could be used to effect the transfer, or change the AuthCode and send it
out, or keep a temporary "for transfers only" authcode that it generates.
This would be usefull in the cases where a losing Registrar is throwing up
roadblocks (other than for non-payment etc).

Hope this helps explain the .ca scenario.

Rob.