[registrars]

[registrars] Deletes Task Force needs your input

Ken has forwarded the full minutes from the initial meeting of the Deletes TF. Our goal is to have formal constituency positions by November 22. However, we realize that may be difficult given the late start of the TF, and various constituency bylaws.

I would like to open up the discussion on these issues through Wednesday. And then present a draft position based on these comments to the RC by Thursday the 21st. Some discussion may yet follow before we actually vote to adopt a position, but it will give me some further basis for discussion during the November 22nd TF conf. call.

In particular, I need comments regarding 1.d, 1.e, 2.b, 3.b, and 4.a by our next meeting.

Rick, in regards to 3.b wasn't there an RC proposal at one time regarding a round-robin reallocation method? Is a copy of that available?

To summarize the current situation:

Issue 1:  Uniform delete practice after domain name expiry by registrars

a. Domain names not explicitly renewed MUST be deleted by the end of the 45 day grace period.

b. Registrars may decide how they will deal with deletes during the 45 day grace period but MUST post their deletes policy on their site, perhaps as part of their registration agreement.

c. The issue reselling names during the 45 grace period appears to be outside the scope of this task force.

d. Extending the 5 day grace period for Adds was discussed, but it was felt this may also be outside the scope of this task force. If the constituencies felt otherwise, we may ask the NC to extend our scope.

e. The issue of how to deal with expiring names that are the subject of a UDRP dispute is yet to be addressed.

Issue 2: Deletion following a complaint on WHOIS accuracy

a. Given that this issue overlaps with the work of the Whois task force, it was general felt that this task force should deal only with what happens AFTER a decision has been made to delete the name.

b. It was generally agreed that the Redemption Grace Period (RGP) as currently defined should apply, with the exception of one of the following conditions:

1. Evidence that the data had been corrected must be submitted.
2. The RGP only applies the first time a domain is deleted for this reason within a 12 month time period.

The TF asked that I determine the RC's preference as to which condition they would prefer to see adopted.

Issue 3: Registry delete process

a. It was generally felt that the RGP provided the solution for a uniform deletes policy among registries.

b. The reallocation of deleted names was another matter. The Registry Constituency was asked to provide proposals. I would suggest that the RC also provide feedback on this subject.

First and foremost, does the RC believe that a uniform mechanism needs to exist to ensure the fair reallocation of deleted names?

If so, what mechanisms would we propose? Or perhaps we may want to look first at the Registry Constituency responses.

Issue 4: Reversal of renewal transactions

a. Basically, we have to delete a name to reverse a renewal. From my experience this most often comes up during the 45 day grace period. It doesn't seem to be a problem because the end result is a deleted name either way. But this could also come up in regards to extending names prior to expiry (when deleting a name and registering it is not acceptable) and mistakes result in having to get registry support involved to undo it.

Do you really see this as a problem? What are suggested solutions, for example, an RRP UNDO command?