From: Ross Wm. Rader [mailto:ross@tucows.com]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 4:46 PM
To: tim@godaddy.com; Elana Broitman; Registrar Constituency
Subject: Re: [registrars] FW: Notice about call on Tuesday -

> Perhaps not. But we still want our TF rep to accurately represent the
> "current" consensus of our constituency. Given all that has taken place,
and
> all that has been said, a vote on the motions presented seems necessary to
> ensure that.

There is no current consensus of the constituency - there hasn't been for
some time. There has been enough FUD spread around that few, if any, of us
have a clear enough view of the issues to actually make an informed decision
as to what the "will of the constituency is". As a result, its been months
since I've presented the "view of the constituency" and instead relied on
the individual submissions of individual members. The TF has done a
remarkable job of evaluating each of these suggestion (and continues to) in
a search for the consensus of the DNSO.

> These motions may be seen by some as a stall tactic, I don't know. But it
> seems fair to ask for time to explore more recent options. It may not
> happen, but as my Grandfather used to say, "it doesn't hurt to ask."

We've been exploring "recent options" for the last two years. Sometimes it
does hurt to ask - you might want to do a poll on how much political
credibility we have managed to hold on to within the DNSO with our penchant
for wanting to explore recent options. Some parties simply want to put this
issue to bed and run it through a review in six months. That sounds to be
the most prudent course of action at this point - regardless of what the
Interim report says.

While it certainly isn't consensus, the single biggest unified criticism
that I've heard over the last year is "Why is this policy development
process taking so long." To those of you that have asked, we are going
through yet another example.

Tim - apologies if this message sounds short, to a certain degree it is, but
keep in mind that we've invested two years of analysis on this issue - at a
certain point, we need to get off the pot. I submit that we left that point
behind about a year ago.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog
> >The current report has the broad support of most
> >constituencies - we do not have the leverage to
> >stall that forward movement.
>
> Perhaps not. But we still want our TF rep to accurately represent the
> "current" consensus of our constituency. Given all that has taken place,
and
> all that has been said, a vote on the motions presented seems necessary to
> ensure that.
>
> These motions may be seen by some as a stall tactic, I don't know. But it
> seems fair to ask for time to explore more recent options. It may not
> happen, but as my Grandfather used to say, "it doesn't hurt to ask."
>
> Tim

TF -
> I require no instructions for that call.
>
> Second, as I mentioned to you last week, the motions are largely out of
> order due the procedural issues that I flagged.
>
> Third, what is the work that you mention below regarding the "solution
> proposal"? If you are referencing the Tucows proposal, it has not received
> much support from the membership (ie - no comments) since it was tabled.
If
> it stands in the way of closing off the issues as it relates to the DNSO,
> will withdraw it. It has not been forwarded to the TF due to the
procedural
> comments received in Shanghai.
>
> Lastly, to directly answer the question that you put forward to Michael -
> the process is moving forward as outlined because we are but one
> constituency in the DNSO. The current report has the broad support of most
> constituencies - we do not have the leverage to stall that forward
movement.

>                        -rwr
>

> "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
> idiot."
> - Steven Wright
>
> Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

I've