[registrars]

Re: [registrars] .US Update

> Ross, I don't necessarily agree with that statement.
<snip>
> I'm not confident that any alternative solution will be quickly
forthcoming.
> I believe the complaint form process is at least a workable interim tool
> help with enforcement.

Let me clarify a little bit further. I touched on this in our comments to
the Whois Task Force as well.

(Note: All numbers are for illustration purposes only)

Constants:
15 million existing dotCOM registrations
5 million existing records with dirty data
40,000 new record additions per day
10,000 new record deletions per day
1,000 complaints filed per day

If we assume that new data is just as dirty as old data, we are likely
adding at least 10,000 net new dirty records to the database per day. We are
only catching 1,000 per day. Even if the number of records with dirty data
is 10% of what I used above, the problem persists.

At this rate, in four years, the problem will, at best, be at least exactly
the same size if we continue to employ the same solutions. I expect that
this will hold true for dotUS as well.

> Issues involving how to get more accurate data up front are another matter
> entirely. I don't think we should confuse the purpose of the complaint
form
> process, enforcement, with improving the processes to collect more
accurate
> up front.

I propose that this is precisely where we focus our efforts. There is a
fallacy that Registrars are responsible for the accuracy of the data in the
Whois database. Registrars are only obligated to solicit the cooperation of
Registrants when the data is deemed inaccurate - and invoke penalties for
non-compliance. The responsibility for the accuracy of the data still
remains with the Registrant however. Until and unless we start to look at
how we can proactively incent Registrants to uphold their end of the
bargain, the problem will continue to exist - and given the nature of the
proposals that continue to come forward, our costs will continue to
increase.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog
> > very nature of the construct virtually prevents it from being effective
> any appreciable degree.
>
> Ross, I don't necessarily agree with that statement.
>
> Before the complaint form process, there was nothing in place to assist in
> the enforcement of maintaining accurate whois data. The proposals that
have
> been put forth by the Whois TF after months of work are out of touch with
> the day-to-day reality of doing business.
>
> I'm not confident that any alternative solution will be quickly
forthcoming.
> I believe the complaint form process is at least a workable interim tool
> help with enforcement.
>
> Issues involving how to get more accurate data up front are another matter
> entirely. I don't think we should confuse the purpose of the complaint
form
> process, enforcement, with improving the processes to collect more
accurate
> up front.
>
> Tim

Policy
> > call is next week and I will try to have a motion to submit although I
am
> > currently busy working on the kids.us component.
> >
> > Just to set the record straight, I am not the registrar representative
on
> > the .US Policy Council. That honor would fall on David Washer. My
position
> > is as a legal expert.

October."