From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Rick Wesson
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 6:34 PM
To: Tom D'Alleva
Cc: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] Shanghai Agenda

If it were me, I'd be checking the credentials of the business
constituency to make sure they are representing the business of the
internet world which i suspect care little of these things, its is the
folks running the TF and their egos that are creating the issue here.

before they go pointing their fingers at us I'd like to see them open
their process and mailing lists so that we can ensure these recommendations
were not the idea of the TF chair and are truly coming from the
[business] constituency members.

this might be an unpopular view, but I suspect the TF has been mismanaged
and now reports more of a few individuals view rather than that of any
constituency.

best,

-rick

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Tom D'Alleva wrote:

> I also agree with Bruce, Tim, Paul, etc.. The whois issue is a serious
> problem that impacts all registrars.
>
> What gets me is that when the Department of Motor Vehicles issues a
driver's
> license with incorect information do they ever get fined? or are they
> responsible for when someone changes adress without notifying them?  Why
> would the model be different for registrars?
>
> In keeping with the DMV model, it might be better to impose the fine on
the
> registrant and allow registrars to keep a portion of the fine as an
> administrative processing fee to off-set the hugh enforcement and
> maintenance costs.
>
> your thoughts?

Whois
> > Task Force Report
> >
> > - Registrars would be required to use "automated mechanisms to screen
out
> > obviously incorrect contact data (e.g., ZIP code/postcode
> > matching software
> > [at least for North American registrants], rejecting incomplete fields
in
> > contact data, etc.)" (Whois Task Force Interim Recommendation 1.0
A.4.a).
> > - Registrars would be obligated to obtain documentary proof of
> > the accuracy
> > of "corrected" contact data supplied by registrants in response
> > to inquiries
> > concerning accuracy (Whois Recommendation 1.0 A.4.c).
> > - Registrars would be obligated "to treat a complaint about false
> > WHOIS data
> > as to one registration as a complaint about false WHOIS data as to all
> > registrations that contain identical contact data, and all such
> > registrations should be made the subject of an inquiry, corrected, or
> > cancelled, as the case may be, en bloc." (Whois Recommendation 1.0
A.4.d).
> > - Registrars would be obligated to verify the accuracy of
> > registrant contact
> > data prior to "restoring" a name via the Redemption Grace Period that
was
> > deleted the basis of false contact data (Whois Recommendation 1.0
A.4.e).
> > - Registrars (and "thick" registries?) would be required to pay fines of
> > US$250, US $500 and US $1000, and be subject to temporary suspension of
> > rights to register new names, for successive failures to correct
reported
> > inaccuracies in their Whois data (Whois Recommendation 1.0 B).
> > - Registrars would be obligated to require registrants to "review and
> > validate all Whois data upon renewal of a registration" (Whois
> > Recommendation 1.0 C.1).
> > - Registrars would be obligated to "spot-check a sample of
> > registrations in
> > order to validate the accuracy of contact information submitted" (Whois
> > Recommendation 1.0 C.2).
> > - Registrars would be obligated, "to the greatest extent feasible," to
> > employ "semi-automated methods such as e-mail pinging, automated
> > dialing to
> > validate telephone numbers" in order to verify the accuracy of
> > contact data
> > submitted by registrants (Whois Recommendation 1.0 C.3).
> > - Registrars (and registries?) would be obligated to use a common
> > Whois data
> > output format and return in response to all queries, across all
> > gTLDs (Whois
> > Recommendation 2.0 C).
> > - Registrars would be obligated to make their Whois data available for
> > searches across TLDs by domain name, registrant name, admin and
technical
> > contact name or handle, and primary and secondary nameservers or IP
> > addresses (Whois Recommendation 3.0 B.1).
> > - Registrars would be obligated to provide bulk access to Whois
> > data only to
> > (accredited?) "parties who are able to articulate a legitimate"
> > (non-marketing?) need for access to the data (Whois Recommendation 4.0
A).
> > - Instead of being able to charge "an annual fee, not to exceed
> > US$10,000,"
> > registrars would only be able to charge for "actual costs of
> > providing" bulk
> > access to Whois data (Whois Recommendation 4.0 B).
> > - Registrars would be obligated (it is optional under the current RAA)
> > require third parties to agree to not sell or re-distribute the bulk
Whois