[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Use of proxies for WHOIS entries and impact on transfer policy

Bruce gets the prize for finding the first significant loophole in the
policy. :)

You are indeed correct Bruce. Proxied information breaks this requirement...

"The Administrative Contact and the Registrant, as outlined in the Losing
Registrar's publicly accessible Whois service have the sole authority to
approve or deny a transfer request to the Gaining Registrar. In all cases,
the wishes of the Registrant supercede those of the Administrative Contact."

This creates a hole large enough to drive a permanent NACK through...

(these are the relevant definitions from the doc...)

Contact, Administrative: The administrative contact is an individual, role
or organization authorized to interact with the registry or registrar on
behalf of the Domain Holder. The administrative contact should be able to
answer non-technical questions about the domain name's registration and the
Domain Holder. In all cases, the Administrative Contact is viewed as the
authoritative point of contact for the domain name, second only to the
Domain Holder.

Domain Holder (Registrant): The individual or organization that registers a
specific domain name. This individual or organization holds the right to use
that specific domain name for a specified period of time, provided certain
conditions are met and the registration fees are paid. This person or
organization is the "legal entity" bound by the terms of the relevant
service agreement with the registry operator for the TLD in question.

Any proposals as to how we can best fix this? I will forward substantive
input to the TF.

Thanks,

                     -rwr

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of
thought which they seldom use."
 - Soren Kierkegaard