From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Ross Wm. Rader
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:36 PM
To: 'Joyce Lin'; registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] FYI: Revision 8 of TF recs.

> What is the concern that a losing registrar can not deny a
> transfer because the domain name is not paid up?

The general precept being that the policy should try to anticipate
gaming where possible and try to take it into account.

The specific idea being that if a registrant truly hasn't paid (or if
there is any contention about the status of payment) that both RRP and
EPP have better facilities to that "facilitate" payment than N'ACKING a
transfer would. i.e. - [Registrar-Hold] is a more appropriate tool than
[N'ACK].

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow