[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Auto-Renew v. Auto-Delete

Chuck,
To make a decision, I think we need to know the details of the process in more detail.
When are we charged the $6?
Would renewals purchased during the 45-day RGP cost $6/year as today?

Is this the proposed process:

1) Name expires (and the name is renewed automatically as it is today,
but the registrar is not charged $6 at this time)
2) If a registrar does not explicitly renew the name (add years),
then 15 days before the end of the 45-day period (or 30 days after it expires),
the name is removed from the zone (put on Registrar Hold).
3) 45-days after expiration, if the name is not explicitly renewed, the name is auto-deleted
(put in the delete cycle)
Whenever the registar renews a name, the registar is charged $6 at that time.

If that is the proposal, I am all for it.
Would the delete apply to *all* names not explicitly renewed?
specifically, names that are currently more than 45-days past expiration?

I assume verisign thinks this will increase renewals and therefore be of benefit to verisign.
I would agree with that and add that it would benefit registrars too.
looks like a win-win to me.  finally.

Paul