[registrars]

[registrars] Auto-Renew v. Auto-Delete

Elliot/Bruce:

Wearing my registrant hat. I would have lost palage.com if the auto-delete
policy as you advocate was in place. Despite my attempts to correct and
transfer my domain name, it was not done in a timely fashion due to
complication by my registrar of record. The 45 day window probably saved my
a significant amount of grief.

Wearing my registrar hat. The ability to control your float is totally
within in your discretion since you can delete the domain name at
expiration. I know that several registrars with corporate clients use this
45 day window to verify the customers intent and minimize potential
liability. As a large scale registrar, the potential risks/liabilities
associated with a 45 day float in connection with a million plus names is
considerable, and may outweigh the benefits of accidental deletions.
However, the risk benefit analysis may not be the same for a small to
mid-size registrar with a small portfolio.

Regarding, Bruce's concern about an uniform delete policy. I believe this is
an important objective but not one that subject registrars to potential
legal liability by having an auto-delete policy. I think there should be
other potential solutions to an uniform delete policy.

Mike