[registrars]

[registrars] Why ICANN Exists

Rick,

Actually the answer to your question is to make sure that registrars like
Alice Registry and other small to medium size registrars are still around.
In case you missed VeriSign's most recent Senate Testimony:

ICANN requires that each gTLD registry offer equal access to all gTLD
registrars accredited by ICANN. On the one hand, this requirement benefits
competition and confidence in the marketplace, although on the other, since
only ICANN can accredit registrars and ICANN has established exceptionally
low financial criteria for registrar accreditation, it has resulted in a
large number of financially weak registrars that must be serviced by every
gTLD registry.

How many registrar on this mailing list believe they would qualify or meet
VeriSign's self imposed standards of a financially stable registrar?

You assessing blame "in part" to IARegistry also is not very productive, as
the DoC has no direct role in the approval/denial of this service. What the
letter states is that the registrars recognize that ICANN is not perfect and
there are outstanding issues, but we will work within the frame work of our
existing contractual relations to resolve these issues. TUCOWS has been
working on advocating a parallel argument where contracting parties can have
their disputes resolved in a commercial manner. Something I have advocated
since last February in Dulles.

One other point, if signing the DoC letter, which over 52 registrars did,
was a sign of support for the WLS why did VRSN sign either the registry or
registrar letter.

Mike