From: Michael D. Palage [mailto:michael@palage.com]
Sent: 14. august 2002 16:58
To: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] Registrar Support Letter to DoC & Teleconference

Hello All:

Thank you for everyone's participation to date in connection with the
letter
of support to the DoC. We currently have approximately 25 signatories to
the
letter, including seven out of the top ten registrars. I would encourage
everyone to read the letter below and if you would agree to be a
signatory
please send me an email. I would like to send this letter before the end
of
the week.

In connection with tomorrow's teleconference, please find attached the
dial-information

Conference Date: Thursday, August 15
Conference Time: 9:00 AM Eastern
Duration: up to 2 hours

Dial-in Number: 1-641-594-7002
Guest PIN Code: 6617

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage

PROPOSED DoC LETTER

Dear Ms. Victory:

We, the undersigned ICANN accredited registrars, are writing to express
our
continuing support for the ongoing efforts of the ICANN Evolution and
Reform
Committee (ERC). While we understand the frustrations of certain members
of
the Internet community in connection with the overall ICANN process to
date,
we believe that ICANN remains the most viable solution to ensure the
ongoing
stability of the Internet's naming and addressing systems.

In the three and half years since its inception, ICANN has taken on the
Herculean task of trying to fulfill the numerous objectives as
originally
set forth in the White Paper. Although like minds may differ on the
success
of ICANN in connection with these objectives, the following facts are
irrefutable. Little more than three years ago there was one monopoly
gTLD
registry/registrar provider. Today there are well over 100 operational
registrars and seven new TLD registries.

As the domain name market place continues to mature, we strongly believe
that market forces and governmental authorities will be the principal
guiding forces. We believe that somewhere within those guiding forces
there
exists, and will continue to exist, a significant role for ICANN that
has
been recognized by the Department of Commerce. Although there are issues
that still need to be addressed within the Blueprint document, upon
which
the undersigned will continue to attempt to provide constructive
feedback,
we believe that these issues can be solved in a mutually agreeable
manner
between ICANN and registries/registrars within the context of their
existing
contractual relationships.

We encourage you to continue to support the efforts underway to
constructively reform ICANN and provide it with the necessary staff and
resources to ensure that competition and stability continue to exist at
the
registrar and registry levels for the benefit of all Internet users.

Sincerely,