[registrars]

[registrars] RE: [ga] What deal was made? - VeriSign Response

Danny,

There was no "deal made" with ICANN regarding the ICANN budget for this new
fiscal year.

As noted in my email to the Registrar Constituency list of June 24, "We
[VeriSign] are not rejecting the current budget proposal outright, we are
simply stating that at this point in time, given the major review that is
underway, it is not fiscally prudent for a budget to enter into significant
new, long term, financial commitments that will increase the current budget
by 25% or more..."

Following is the text of the letter (sent via fax and mail) that was sent to
ICANN, whereby VeriSign approves our portion of the variable accreditation
fees.

ICANN
Registrar Accreditation Dept.
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA  90292  USA
Fax: 1/310-823-8649 (Hard Copy by Mail)

Re: Variable Accreditation Fee for 2002-2003

To ICANN:

Notwithstanding our concern with the overall budget approved by ICANN or the
fact that our interpretation of the interplay between Subsection 3.9.2 of
the Registrar Accreditation Agreement and Article I of the Concurrent
Agreement between ICANN and Network Solutions, Inc. differs from the
interpretation expressed by ICANN's counsel, I, on behalf of Network
Solutions, Inc., expressly approve, for the ICANN fiscal year beginning on 1
July 2002 and ending on 30 June 2003, the variable registrar accreditation
fee, so long as such fee does not exceed $2,000,000.

Sincerely yours,

W. G. Champion Mitchell
July 22, 2002

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Bruce