[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Answers to Various Questions

Michael D. Palage wrote:

"The question that needs to be answered immediately is how should our three
Names Council representatives vote on the WLS Task Force recommendation. The
choices are (1) as a block or (2) representative of the actual vote.

Under Choice 1 if there is a simple 51% majority all three Names Council
representatives should vote as a block
Under Choice 2 if there is greater than a majority but less than 66%, should
the Name Council representatives votes be apportioned to reflect the vote of
the constituency, i.e. 2 to 1."

Michael,

I'm not sure it's that simple of a choice.

I do believe that the ideal would be that the NC representatives vote in a manner that reflects the actual constituency vote as closely as possible. For example, if a 1/3 of the constituency votes a certain way, I believe their view should be represented.

But realistically, I don't think it makes sense that we try to require it. If that were the case, what's the point of human representatives, or the NC for that matter.

So why keep trying to define what consensus means? Where does it really come into play in the RC? We vote, the results are tallied, usually made public, and the NC representatives have what they need.

Tim