[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Answers to Various Questions

Hi Michael...

--On Wednesday, July 17, 2002 5:15 PM -0400 "Michael D. Palage"

True, here is what you said in a message called "Policy Development":

> If the constituency was to vote and there was clear consensus on a issue,
> i.e. 80% or greater of the members supported a position then all three
Names
> Council representatives should clearly be required to vote in a block.
> However, in the case in which there is not consensus in the constituency,
> only a simple majority we have no guidelines for our Names Council
> representatives.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Your right, you never said 80% was required
for "consensus" but rather cited that number as an example, hence the i.e.
I apologize if I put words in your mouth, but I drew a strong inference.
You do say that a simple majority does not constitute a consensus, and upon
that point I disagree.  Further, you say that if there is consensus on an
issue then the members should be required to vote in a block.

So then, how does one define consensus?  Here are a few definitions, please
note the last one from Princeton University:

con·sen·sus   Pronunciation Key  (kn-snss)
n.
An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole: ?Among political
women... there is a clear consensus about the problems women candidates
have traditionally faced? (Wendy Kaminer). See Usage Note at redundancy.
General agreement or accord: government by consensus.

-----
[Latin cnsnsus; see consent, from past participle of cnsentre, to agree.
See consent.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

-----

consensus

\Con*sen"sus\, n. [L. See Consent.] Agreement; accord; consent.

That traditional consensus of society which we call public opinion.
--Tylor.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

-----

consensus

n : agreement of the majority in sentiment or belief [syn: general
agreement]
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

> The DNSO has taken no vote on WLS, I do not know why you believe they
> have. The Registrar Constituency which is one of seven constituencies

Because I keep meaning to say RC-DNSO and keep screwing up ;-)

Jim Archer, CEO
Registration Technologies, Inc.
10 Crestview Drive
Greenville, RI 02828