[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Latest Verisign Survey

I was not aware the protocol provided for a "thin" mode.  If that is the
case, then this is a different story.  I would need to know exactly what
data we would be required to provide to decide if I support this.  I do
agree from a purely technical standpoint, the XML based EPP is superior to
RRP.

Unfortunately, the survey Verisign GRS put out does not say how they would
implement it.  So, in an abundance of caution, I would still have to oppose
it.  Maybe Chris Sheridan can fill in the details.

Jim

--On Wednesday, June 19, 2002 12:24 PM -0700 Rick Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
wrote:

> Jim,
>
> it was not clear if VeriSign wants to run EPP in thick or thin mode so
> some of you worries may or may not be justified.
>
> -rick
>
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Jim Archer wrote:
>
>> Hi All...
>>
>> I just received the latest customer survey from Verisign, asking how
>> quickly we want to move to an EPP registry.
>>
>> I would urge everyone not to be in too big a hurry to do this.  We all
>> know our whois data is being mined and we further know that Verisign
>> Registrar has been hit with an injunction to stop their deceptive
>> transfer notice marketing, as a result of Bulk Registrar's legal action.
>> And, we know that GoDaddy filed a suit claiming that Verisign was still
>> sending these notices, just not to Bulk Registrars customers.  Verisign
>> has not denied this.
>>
>> We also know that Verisign insists it has no monopoly, so it is not
>> subject to regulation.  That would mean that the "Chinese Wall" they
>> maintain is not mandated by law and any violation of that policy would
>> be at the very worst a contract violation and perhaps a violation of
>> nothing at all.
>>
>> Given all that, I have to question the wisdom of handing them my customer
>> data.  If they drop RRP, we're going to have to give all our contact data
>> to them.  Given the track record on the use of such data it would seem
>> the chances of abuse of that data are high.
>>
>> I urge you all to oppose this change.
>>
>> Jim

Jim Archer, CEO
Registration Technologies, Inc.