From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Jim Archer
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 3:06 PM
To: registrars@dnso.org
Cc: sheridan@verisign-grs.net
Subject: [registrars] Latest Verisign Survey

Hi All...

I just received the latest customer survey from Verisign, asking how
quickly we want to move to an EPP registry.

I would urge everyone not to be in too big a hurry to do this.  We all know
our whois data is being mined and we further know that Verisign Registrar
has been hit with an injunction to stop their deceptive transfer notice
marketing, as a result of Bulk Registrar's legal action.  And, we know that
GoDaddy filed a suit claiming that Verisign was still sending these
notices, just not to Bulk Registrars customers.  Verisign has not denied
this.

We also know that Verisign insists it has no monopoly, so it is not subject
to regulation.  That would mean that the "Chinese Wall" they maintain is
not mandated by law and any violation of that policy would be at the very
worst a contract violation and perhaps a violation of nothing at all.

Given all that, I have to question the wisdom of handing them my customer
data.  If they drop RRP, we're going to have to give all our contact data
to them.  Given the track record on the use of such data it would seem the
chances of abuse of that data are high.

I urge you all to oppose this change.

Jim

Jim Archer, CEO