[registrars]

RE: [registrars] REALNAMES - stopping service 30th June.

Bob,

Neteka agrees with the position that an IDN standard should be carefully
adopted.  I appreciate Rick's concern about not making this an advertising
forum and would like to clarify what we believe to be a logical transition
to a standard.

Neteka's position on IDN is as follows:

1. Neteka supports the adoption of a standard for Internationalized Domain
Names.
2. Neteka believes in a working solution that can provide a seamless
transition to an IDN standard.
3. Neteka further believes that there are no efficient or economically
viable methods for distibuting client plug-ins to enable a client only
approach to IDN.
4. Neteka contends that even with a speedy adoption of a standard by
Microsoft, the leading provider browser and email client software it will
take several years before their would be a critical mass of clients to make
an IDN client based solution viable.
5. Neteka is concerned that there is a risk of IDN client plug-in conflicts
as Neteka has already identified some.

Hence we agree with the careful approach to adopting an IDN standard but
with two qualifications.  a) A server solution approach complimented with a
client plug-in is the only viable transition to a standard because
internationalized domain names should work for the majority of users
immediately or the value of these domains will be compromised. b) Regardless
of when the IETF standard is adopted and finally makes its way in software
packages like IE and Outlook a server side appoach to IDN insures a working
solution from the get-go.

In short, the server side appoach to IDN is the only viable way to implement
a standard without comprimising the value of internationalized domains.

Jim G. Foley
jim.foley@neteka.com
Neteka Inc.
416.971.4327