[registrars]

Re: [registrars] ICANN position on Versign WLS service : Touton recommends it !

Most important points...

"it is my judgment that the Board should not seek to decide how to deal with
this request without invoking the formal consensus development processes
currently established within ICANN.

This judgment is reinforced by the Registrars Constituency vote opposing
implementation of WLS and the fact that the Names Council Transfer Task
Force is currently considering the WLS issue, with a report to the Board
expected in June.
Thus, I recommend that the Board establish the following procedure for
obtaining public comment to illuminate its consideration of the VGRS WLS
proposal:

  1. The proposal and related documents should be posted for public comment
for a thirty day period.

  2. The DNSO Names Council should be requested to provide any
recommendations concerning the WLS proposal at least three weeks before
commencement of the Bucharest meeting.

  3. Time should be devoted to the WLS issue at the Public Forum in
Bucharest.

The Board could then act on the merits of the WLS proposal at Bucharest (or
after, if additional issues requiring more time arise). If ultimately the
Board's decision is that the amendment should be made, then a suitable
request can be made to the U.S. Department of Commerce for approval."

Looks like round three is about to start. Get your seats quickly ;)

-rwr