[registrars]

[registrars] Has this ever happened to you?

Hi Folks...

I'm wondering if any one else has ever had the horrific experience we just
went through.  Early Wednesday afternoon, we discovered that we were
suddenly and mysteriously unable to connect to Verisign GRS.

After an hour of investigation, Verisign support informed us that two of
out three subnet requests were gone.  Of course, they didn't tell us quite
that way.  When we asked what subnets we had, they gave us one of the
three.  We asked where the other two had gone and the answer was "what
other two?"

So somehow, on a Wednesday, our subnets were changed with no request from
us to do so.  Verisign confirmed they had no request to change them and
then said that this indicated they had not actually been changed.

Yes, you read that right.  Will at Verisign GRS actually told me that
because they had no record of this happening that it could not have
happened.  I asked him if he thought I was crazy or a liar, and he said
neither, it was just that there was no "evidence" to "substansiate" my
"claim" that our other two subnets had actually been there before.

He conceded that if a subnet change is made via there web site, that no
acknowledgement is made and no ticket is issued.  He suggested that I place
yet another change request via their web site.  We won't be doing that ever
again.  From now on, whether it makes more work for them or not, all
correspondence will be traceable.

Of course, we have been connected 24/7 prior to this for months using the
removed subnets which we use exclusively (that is, no other registrar uses
them) and one would hope Verisign has a log somewhere.  Still, Will seemed
unconcerned that this happened with no records about it.  Why was he
unconcerned?  Because he simply asserted that it had not actually happened.

So with Chris Sheridan out for the next few weeks, I'll be trying to speak
with David King.

But before I do, I would be very interested to find out if anyone else has
ever had this happen to them?

Jim

Jim Archer, CEO
Registration Technologies, Inc.