[registrars]

Re: [registrars] ICANN "Safety Net"

At 01:46 PM 2/28/02 -0500, Tom D'Alleva wrote:
>However, as it stands now, there are still a few issues:
>1. The general tone is that registrars and registrants are to blame for
>inadvertently deleting names implying that the registries need to do
>something to help us out.

Dear Tom:

I don't get that reading on it at all, as a registraR I recognize no such
potential for feeling guilty.

We always worry about deletions.  We put expired domains on registrar-hold
when they go into auto renew.  Hopefully, the registrant will discover that
the domain name does not resolve within the 45 day grace period.

But what about those registrants which only register for defensive purposes
and use our DNS "Parking" service?  If their Email addresses are wrong,
they don't even get our warnings.

One additional problem which the proposed system does not address -- if the
registrant does not wake up in 45 days, he/she/it will probably sleep on
for the additional 30 days;-(

In short, I personally like the idea of the safety net.  *Anything* which
reduces the level of consumer dissatisfaction improves the image of our
entire industry.  Lacking our long delayed code of conduct, any practical
improvements are sorely needed.

Regards, BobC

"One test is worth three expert opinions!"
U.B. Bray

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
Albert Einstein