[registrars]

RE: [registrars] RE: WLS

Bruce,

I beleive that the vote should not be based on
how many registrations "the minority" currently manages.
One reason this is not relevent data (IMO) is because
registrar competition has not had long enough time
to give an accurate steady-state picture (based on the number of
registrations
under management) of who the market is
favoring today, not who they favored when there
was a registrar monopoly.   If you want an accurate and timely picture
of which group of registrars the market is currently
favoring, then, if anything, you should look at net new registrations
statistics.
I would guess if you used that measure (letting the current market decide),
then Verisign registrar would have a negative vote, since Verisign registar
has
consistantly had a negative net gain in registrations.

Maybe the vote should be annotated as follows:

Vote (for/against WLS)
followed by:
Company Name
Number of registrations under management
Net gain/loss in registrations for the most recent month or two.

But no extra weight should be given to any member but by a straight vote
in determining consensus.

Another reason to not take the number of registrations
under management into account is that if we were to do that,
the largest registrars (and this would take only a small number
such as 1, 2 or 3 registars) could get together and generally dictate
policy to the rest.

I beleive implementation of WLS will advantage the larger registrars
more so than the current system,
therefore, giving the large registrars more weight in deciding
for/against WLS is wrong.

Lastly, regarding letting the market decide...
I am all for letting the market decide, but in this case (WLS),
the product offered is a monopoly product.  The registry offering
this product pre-empts eNom's current offering of its competing
("club drop") product.  And also pre-empts any other registar from
offering a competing product. Therefore, the market won't have an
oportunity to decide (as they can today) between the two (or more,
since others besides eNom offer other WLS competing products today).

Product choice means choosing from amongst a number of competing products,
product choice does not mean deciding to sell or not to sell one product
as you seem to think.

Regards,

Paul