[registrars]

RE: [registrars] RE: WLS

Hi Bruce...

Let me explain my reasoning.

--On Thursday, February 21, 2002 2:51 PM -0500 "Beckwith, Bruce"
<bbeckwith@verisign.com> wrote:

> In a group of 45 or so registrars (approximate number of dues paying
> members of the Registrar Constituency), some with as few as 6 CNO
> registrations as of December 31, 2001 (SnapNames State of the Domain -
> Year-End 2001), if 23 RC member registrars vote a particular way, even if
> their volume only amounts to 12% of all gTLD registrations, that this
> becomes the consensus of the Registrar Constituency?  Would you define
> this as consensus, in the spirit of ICANN's definition of consensus?

First, we are seeking a "consencus" of the actual members of the RC.  We
have no mechanism for soliciting and evaluating the positions of those
registrars who are not members of the RC, nor should we try to do so.  The
members of the RC, by virtue of their membership, have the right to
contribute to the policy making decisions of the RC.  Non-members lack this
right.  As the membership is open to any accredited registrar, this is
entirely fair and reasonable.  On this point, I don't think we have a
disagreement.

As to the number of registrations sponsored by each member of the RC, I
don't see the relevance.  The consensus being sought is not among
registrants and even if it was, there is no reason a registrar should be
allowed expected to speak for a registrant.  The consensus is among
registrars.  That means that each registrar has an equal say in generation
of the consensus.

So yes, I feel that each member registrar should have an equal say in the
determination of this consensus.

Also, I think that the complex procedure of issuing comments and having
everyone agree on them is probably not the best route to consensus.  The
more details, the harder it is to get a consensus.  I thing that we should
draft a resolution simply opposing WLS as presented and adopt it as RC
position by majority vote.

Jim