[registrars]

RE: [registrars] RE: WLS

Rick, am I hearing you correctly ?

Suddenly, consensus equals 50% + 1 ?

If so, how are you calculating and/or weighting the voting ?  Is it by
member ?  Domains under management ?   Some other weighting ?

To me, it seems foolish to try and say 50% + 1 is consensus.  We have always
strived towards building true consensus, and coming to positions that the
most can live with (not just half). I am concerned that if we start down
this road, in the future, our positions will be more about getting 50% of
the vote as opposed to putting in the extra effort to try and gain true
consensus.

This would also imply that the RC could publish something as a "consensus
document", when the largest 49 registrars in the world said "no" and the
smallest 51 said "yes" (assuming there were 100 members).

I know that this is something that many constituencies, and indeed ICANN,
have wrestled with, but I would hate to see us go with 50%+1 as representing
"absolute consensus".

I know I am pleased that even though we are strong competitors on many
fronts, that we have always tried very hard to work together on issues of
mutual concern.  I have seen both large and small companies, with sometimes
very opposite views, work together to try and find common ground and truly
reach "consensus".  I would not want to ever see these efforts curtailed or
avoided, as it is what truly makes us strong.

Rob.