[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Registry and New Service Offering

Michael,
see below

I spoke with the .biz people at the LA ICANN meeting about
their offer of registrar lock, since as you say eNom is one
of the registrars that also offers a similarly sounding
product.  In my opinion, it does not
compete with, at least, eNom's registrar lock function;
it is a different feature that we don't offer.
eNom uses registrar lock so that registrant's names will
not be accidentally or inadvertently transferred.
.biz's lock does not prevent us from offering eNom's "registar lock"
function because there is a mechanism built-in to the EPP
whereby registrants need a roid to transfer names.
I would have a problem if Verisign or Nuelevel started charging
for a "prohibit name from transferring" registrar lock.

I brought up at the Verisign registry meeting that I
have a *slight* problem with registries competing with registrars
by offering services that we already offer such as DNS
email forwarding, etc that Verisign announced at that meeting.
BUT I have a *big* problem when they
offer a monopoly product (one that we cannot possibly offer)
that directly replaces one that we (and they) are already offering,
and already offering at a much lower price.

> Although I
> do not believe
> that this service is currently operational, a price point is
> provided for in
> their existing contract, see Appendix G -
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-appg-11
> may01.htm.

We all agreed, via a huge ICANN process that they could offer this product
at
that price.  Just like we all agreed via ICANN that .name
could offer email forwarding at the price they are offering
it at, even though many registrars were
offering email forwarding, and that this particular email product could
only be offered by .name registry.
Those registries did set the price and service unilaterally.

> So what happens if VeriSign was to decide to offer a registry
> lock feature in
> .com, .org and .net would this be classified as a re-packed service?

We'd analyze it on a case-by-case basis
like we are doing with WLS.
In this case, if they offered the same service as nuelevel's,
I'd say it was not re-packed, but only if the other stuff
remained the same or it did not pre-empt the operation of the
current service, ie, they continued
to offer the current registrar lock feature and the
new feature does not interfear with its operation.  If they
replaced the current one, then I'd say it was re-packaed.

In the WLS case Verisign/SnapNames is attempting to offer
this "new" (not really, IMO), yet worse service, which *pre-empts*
a service, i.e. re-registering deleted names,
that is already factored in to their ICANN/DOC
agreements.