[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Issues with Verisign Waiting List proposal

All,
After reading the proposal for about the 40th time and watching the list, I
to have a few comments.

Maybe I could empathize if I understood where the $6 fee went to. I wrote a
question several months ago, that I thought it would be beneficial to see
the breakdown of the $6 - like how much of this went for new development and
the sorts. If this is new development then this is a capital expenditure
which can be amortized between 3 to 5 years. It sounds like turning a profit
for verisign and Snapnames is at the burden and demise of the registrars. We
as registrars are going to have to spend money in new development and
upgrades to software and database modifications to implement this. Customers
are going to want to manage the WLS accounts.

I have seen several forwarded emails that refer to people that have current
Snapbacks will be taken care of - How I ask. Why should they get anything
special over a registrar. Last time I checked I did not see them on the
registrar list. Does this mean that a Snapback goes first and we as
registrars get the  leftovers. Since this was let out to customers also,
would this increase business at Snapnames knowing that a Snapback may get
priority over the "go Live Land Rush date". Where would you put your
money???

After reading that the connections to the registrars has been limited again
to 40 and that now there are going to be more problems with the bandwidth -
what is causing this. Lets look in part of what is increasing this - Who is
out there signing up registrars and /or using multiple "TAGS" to get more
connections? I would like to know from the consortium of registrars that
SnapNames uses - are you all going for the same name at drop time??? Can you
say "Increased Checks". The same can be said about registrars that use other
registrars tags during drop time.

I would also agree that some of the simple fixes would decrease the problem
with the "Check Commands" which is the stated reason for the Verisign
problem. The problem was not to prevent speculators from getting names -
that will continue no matter what system is in place. The same speculators
that use each of us also use Snapbacks.

Thanks,
David
IARegistry