[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Nomination for Ken Stubbs for Names Council

At 09:57 AM 11/27/01 +1100, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>I would like to nominate Ken Stubbs for election as a Registrars
>Constituency member on the Names Council.  Ken has the benefit of experience
>on the Names Council as one of the current members of the Names Council, and
>could support new registrar representatives on the Names Council with his
>knowledge of the "history" of previous discussions on the Names Council.

Dear Bruce:  I second your nomination.

Let me speak right off the cuff.  The majority of the members of the RC are
small or medium sized registrars.  I think we should be very careful about
our selections to the NC.  IMSO, it would not be good to select a delegate
whose business is also a registrY.  That would exclude Verisign and
Registrar.com.  Due to the Tucows operation of the "Open SRS", they are a
defacto registrY.  In addition, their subsidiary or affiliate, Liberty, is
the registrY for .info.

I have the highest respect for our colleagues in Tucows, for example, our
very own able Secretary, Tim.  Also, Ross who has expended yeoman's efforts
advancing the auto-Nack issue.  Yet, I think his efforts are best applied
other than as our NC representative from North America.

OTOH, I think the Philipp is eminently qualified to represent us for Europe
as he does not represent a large registraR or a registrY.

Please don't put those pins in my kachina doll;-{

Sincerely spoken, BobC

P.S.  Some of your might think that Ken Stubbs also represents a registrY,
namely, Afilias.

Let me tell you a thing or two.  Any one of you have just as much chance of
directing the way Afilias operates has as does Ken or any other Director or
any Member of Afilias -- namely, no chance at all.  Afilias management goes
off on their own thing with no apparent response to any request made by a
Director, or a Member, or any other Afilias Accredited RegistraR;-(

I made a request 2.5 months ago of the minutes of the Afilias Excom,
something required by Irish Law.  Still no response.

Afilias' Members and Afilias' Directors met in Dublin on 20 October.  Under
Irish Law, they are required to provide Minutes within a week.  They are
yet to be received.

So don't hold Afilias against Ken, he's as impotent with them as am
I:-(.  That's why I passed my Director's seat on to Don Heath.

CC:  Michael Gilroy, Irish Counsel.

"Measure twice and cut once."
 From "Little Britches".